Monday, August 10, 2009

Returning to Kenya

After 39 years, I finally returned to Kenya this summer. In 1970, Marshall and I worked in a Quaker Mission Hospital in Kaimosi, a small rural village in Western Kenya. Now I have had the chance to return to that part of the world, traveling with some other faculty and staff from Western, some students and a young woman from Bend, Oregon. This blog was created after the fact, as it was impossible to get reliable internet access while there, but it seems a good way to share some of my thoughts and experiences about the trip. I'll be pulling excerpts from my journal, so some of these musing will be in the present tense.

I have to admit, after so many years away, I was quite anxious about going back to a place that had such a profound impact on me. I was worried about how much might have changed and if I would be able to reconnect with the culture and people as I did so many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment